The notifications feature has been updated for the Student and Trainer Portal for release 184.108.40.206 of the portals. Notifications enable some cross portal notice of activities, such as file upload, to a portal user. A new notification badge with a count of the unread notifications is shown next to the logged in user name, allowing quick access to notifications as they arrive.
Example: A student uploading a file in the student portal will automatically notify enrolment staff, based on preference configuration and the notice will appear in the trainer portal. The trainer will be able to see the notification of the file upload and selecting the notice hyperlink will take them to view the file uploaded by the student. The notification process will also occur in the reverse direction, should the trainer upload a file for a student. In addition to the new notification function, the notice may be optionally emailed based on global preferences, in conjunction with the users individual notification settings.
Users of the portal may configure their individual notification preference for each notification type from within their respective portal, via the Notification Settings page.
- Compatible with VETtrak version 220.127.116.11 or later.
- A new global preferences area for notifications. The Student portal no longer has a Notification Tab in its preference, with the control moved to this new global preference.
- Note: In version 19.2 of VETtrak the Notifications global preference has been renamed to Portal preferences.
VETtrak Notification Preferences
Version 17.2-19.1 global preferences screenshot
Version 19.2 onwards.
- When students upload documents through the Student Portal, it is possible to have an email automatically sent to staff members related to the enrolment. Turn the Send Notification emails option on to enable this functionality.
- Enter an email address that the notification will be sent from. This address must have the rights to send mail through the mail server setup in Email Preferences. Note: 19.2 onwards: If your global email settings has the option "Use individual staff member email logins" ticked. Use the staff selector to choose a staff member to use as the notification email from address.
- You can also decide which Staff Types, recorded against the Students enrolment, will be sent the notification. For example, in the above example - assuming an Administration officer, a Trainer, and a Supervisor are all allocated to the enrolment - only the Supervisor and Trainer would receive a notification stating that a new file had been uploaded.
- When a trainer uploads a non-distributed file against and enrolled unit or task, the enrolled student will receive the notification in the Student Portal and optionally by email.
Notifications in the portals
Note: All screenshots shown are from the Student Portal, however the terminology used is the same across both portals.
- The new notification badge is located next to the logged in as name. Clicking on the badge will bring up a list of the most recent non dismissed notifications.
Click on the message to bring up the resource from the message.
- To dismiss a notification click on the cross located to the right of the message.
- Notification settings for the portal user is accessible from clicking on the "Notification settings" link from within the notification badge popup menu.
- The portal user can switch off notifications and emails via this settings modal window. Toggle on or off the Notify and Email checkbox. Note: Notify unchecked will also switch off the email function.
- Notifications on this page are displayed in a "paged" table. Use the page number to navigate between pages.