VET FEE-HELP is a system of government loans to students who undertake VET training. It is similar in concept to the HECS scheme for higher education study. Essentially, the government pays the training fees incurred by the student, and the student incurs a debt which is to be repaid after the training is completed.
Only the following levels of course are eligible for VET FEE-HELP:
- Certificate IV
- Advanced Diploma
- Graduate Certificate
- Graduate Diploma
Courses of Study and Units of Study
Two concepts have been added to VETtrak for VET FEE-HELP reporting purposes:
- Course of Study - This is directly related to the Qualification in VETtrak.
- Unit of Study - Each Course of Study is divided up into Units of Study. It is up to the RTO to determine how to divide a Course of Study up into Units of Study. A Unit of Study may incorporate several Units of Competency. Units of Study can be related to Units of Competency in VETtrak.
A provider can only set and charge students tuition fees for Units of Study, not whole Courses of Study.
Students do not incur a liability for a Unit of Study until after the census date for that unit. The provider can set the census date no earlier than 20% of the way through the unit. Units of Study can have only one census date, so if the provider offers the same unit in different periods, they will each have to be entered as a separate Unit of Study.
There are reporting requirements on the RTO, similar (but different) to AVETMISS. The items of data to be reported are referred to as data elements and given a number.
For example, 386 Disability.
Element Number: 386
Element Name: Disability
Field name : DISABILITY
Unfortunately, the list of disabilities for VET FEE-HELP differs from that for AVETMISS.
In general, similar concepts are reported slightly differently for VET FEE-HELP compared with AVETMISS. We try as much as possible to use existing client data to generate the VET FEE-HELP data elements.
The VET FEE-HELP feature in VETtrak allows the generation of files that must be reported to the government in relation to VET FEE-HELP that students may need to receive. There are a number of files that must be reported:
- VDU - VET Commonwealth Assisted Students - HELP Due
- VCO - VET Course of Study
- VPO - VET Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form
- VSR - VET Student Revisions
- VEN - VET Student Enrolment
- VLL & VRL - VET Student Load Liability and Revised Student Load Liability
- VCU - VET Unit of Study Completions
- VCC - VET Course Completions
- VET Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) Allocation
The VET FEE-HELP feature in VETtrak currently creates the following files:
- For quarterly export - VDU, VEN and VLL / VRL files.
- For twice yearly export - VCO, VCC and VCU files.