For the new method of Updating Unit Results, please see our article here
This utility imports unit results from a spreadsheet file. A template representing the ideal format of the spreadsheet is available to download here.
Using the Unit Result Importer
To start the import, go to Utility > Unit Result importer.
- Navigate to the import file.
- Click Load.
- Click Validate.
- The Status column will change colour according to whether a record has an error or warning. If there are any errors, the import cannot proceed. Click the coloured box for more information, and correct any errors if necessary.
- If this box is left unticked, you will have to confirm each record before it is imported. Tick the box to import all records in one go.
- Untick any records you do not want to import. Records with an error will be unticked by default and cannot be ticked. You can click the Use heading to toggle all records on and off.
- When all errors are fixed, click Import results.
A warning will be indicated in the following circumstances:
- The unit already has a result in VETtrak, and the start date is different to that in the spreadsheet. In this case the import can proceed and the date in VETtrak will be overwritten with the date from the spreadsheet.
An error will be indicated in the following circumstances:
- Any of the following is missing or does not match an existing item in VETtrak:
- Client code
- Qualification code
- Unit code
- Dates are missing, or are outside the range of the enrolment.
- Both result name and outcome code are missing, or do not match a result name or outcome code in VETtrak, or the result name / outcome code combination does not exist in VETtrak
- The combination of client code, qualification code and unit code does not exist in VETtrak.
- The combination of client code, qualification code and unit code exists in VETtrak more than once. (In this case, the user must choose which enrolment to allocate the result to, and enter the enrolment ID in column H of the spreadsheet before proceeding.)
- The unit already has a Completed-type result recorded in VETtrak.
NOTE: If only an outcome code is provided, and there are multiple results in VETtrak with that outcome code, the following logic is used to determine which result type to allocate:
- Determines if one of the results is a default result type, and if so, use that result type.
- If none of the result types is default, use the result with the lowest ID (i.e. the first one created).
Preparing the File to Import
The VETtrak Unit Result Importer requires a very particularly formatted Spreadsheet to work - we recommend using a Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet (.xls) file format to make sure that all data is kept intact, as some Excel formats can strip leading zeros that are required for details such as a Clients VETtrak Code.
An example of a document set up correct would look like the following:
To better understand how these fields correspond to your VETtrak data, here is an example of a persons enrolment that you may intend to import results for, with the related fields highlighted:
The Unit Start, Unit Finish and Result Name or Outcome Code fields are entered based off the information you wish to import regarding the Students training activity.
Within VETtrak this document would import like so:
Pressing the Validate button will then check the data, and fill the additional fields based on what has been returned from your VETtrak Database, with information such as the Clients Name, Qualification Name and Unit Name filled out for you to review.
At this point you can press the Use tickbox to select the Result and Dates to be imported,and import them via the Import Results button.
If any errors require to be amended, you can review the message provided in the Status box to get an idea on what needs to be changed. Example:
Import File Fields Glossary
The import file will have the following columns:
|D||Unit Start Date||Mandatory|
|E||Unit End Date||Mandatory|