Must be running VETtrak version 18.3.x.
Once installed, the Student Portal has some additional preferences that can be set up in the File > Global Preferences area of VETtrak. Click on Student Portal to access the specific preferences page of the wizard.
- Student Portal URL - This textbox is to record the base url location of your student portal. This allows your other portals to know how to create student portal specific links. Such as providing an email notification with a student portal link.
- Enable account recovery - This tickbox will turn on the ability for students to use a 'forgot password' link from the login page of the Student Portal. The process will generate a new password which will be automatically emailed to the student.
- Enter an email address that the automatically generated password will be sent from. This address must have the rights to send mail through the mail server setup in Email Preferences.
- The Account recovery contact phone number will be displayed to the student, in case they have forgotten their username or are unable to reset their password for any reason.
- AVETMISS details - This tickbox will turn on the ability for students to view and edit additional personal details relating to AVETMISS fields on the Personal Details page. To collect prior recognition identifiers in concert with AVETMISS prior education selections turn this option on by checking the box.
- Allow iCal calendar subscription - This tickbox controls the ability for students to access an iCal file subscription of their schedule. A third party calendaring application such as (Outlook, Google calendar, iOS & Android) may then be used to subscribe to that schedule link. see Portal iCal susbscription for further detail.
- Tick this box if you want any of your data entered by students to be submitted for Quality Assurance before being saved in VETtrak.
- Indicate which kinds of data and actions need to pass through Quality Assurance. As student (client) information is the only data which can be edited through the Student Portal, the only controllable options are the Add, Edit and Delete privileges for client data.
- Determine which types of entities a student may view/upload documents against.
- When students upload documents through the Student Portal, a checkbox will appear for the student to acknowledge a declaration. The text of that declaration comes from this preference.
- Use plain text and keep your text to a brief sentence.
- The text appearing in an unedited preference will default to "I declare that this file is my own work".
- Enable VET Survey integration into the Student Portal. Note: requires separate product VETSurvey.
- To add this link, simply turn on this checkbox. Choose the VETSurvey URL from the drop down list of your available VET surveys (predefined list). Enter a Link Name for the preferred link. The name is what will be visible, and clickable for your students.
- Messaging permissions - can view messages - To allow the students to view direct messages in the student portal, select this box. Note: A complimentary setting in the Trainer Portal global preferences for "can send messages" would also need to be enabled for this functionality to work between portals. This will be on by default.
- Messaging permissions - can send messages - To allow students to direct message their training staff, enable this setting. This will be on by default. The Trainer Portal messages global preference for viewing messages will likewise need to be enabled.
- Staff types to allow students to send messages to - In addition to enabling "Can send messages", choose which staff types the student will be able to message. Enabling can send messages without choosing staff types will effectively prevent direct messaging from the Student Portal.
The Student and Trainer Portal also have some notification preferences that can be set up in the File > Global Preferences area of VETtrak. Click on Notifications to access the specific preferences page of the wizard.
- When students upload documents through the Student Portal, a notification is sent to staff using the Trainer Portal, it may also optionally email them based on this preference. Turn the Enable notification emails option on to enable notification email functionality. Note: this also affects the Trainer Portal notification email functionality.
- Enter an email address that the notification will be sent from. This address must have the rights to send mail through the mail server setup in Email Preferences.
- You can also decide which Staff Types, recorded against the Students enrolment, will be sent notifications. For example, in the above example - assuming a Trainer, and a Supervisor are all allocated to the enrolment - both Supervisor and Trainer would be notified.
External links and social icons
Note: The tab for Link has been removed in VETtrak 18.3 and may now be set up via the VETtrak configuration manager with a new node "External links":
See External links in the Web Portals for further information.
File Note Configuration
A new public file note has been added to VETtrak 184.108.40.206. Some configuration of these is managed in a new node in the VETtrak configuration manager.
See the VETtrak release notes section Dated file notes for various records for further information.
- Setting up Student Portal preferences in VETtrak (19.2.x or higher)